.

.
Simple Ramblings From A Prim Cottage


Monday, October 25, 2010

Apple Dumplings and Black Americana


A few days ago in the nesting post I listed a Easy Apple Dumpling Recipe..Well sunday I made a batch to take to Grandmas house for sunday dinner.Above is how they looked out of the oven.These were soooo yummy good!I changed the recipe slightly I thought the sugar was to much in the recipe so I changed it from 1 1/2 Cups white sugar to 1/2 C brown sugar and 1/2 C sugar, also instead of putting the cinnamon in the butter I sprinkled on top before baking.I also added about 7 minutes to the baking time.You really can't mess it up.It's so easy.When I make it for home I'l half the recipe as it made 16 dumplings and a serving for us would be 2 dumplings...

Today I thought I'd share some of my Black Americana collection.This post is old stuff I do collect new primitive hand did dolls as well.I love the nostalgia feel of the old images and find the black americana charming.I can remember as a child we would go to two of my great grandparents house for sundays.I remember Great Grandma Sis's Kitchen and the old black americana chalkware pot holders and some cookbooks.My grandmother has old pieces in her farmhouse cupboard as well and over the years the images have always been dear to me.Ok so remember last weeks weekend finds I was excited to find the Gold Dust Twins box above? Well here is why I've been searching for it...I have the original old mercantile shipping/display wood crate these were filled with them so it was such a treat to find the contents that were originally in the box!


Another image of the side of the crate is at the top of the blog entry....It's a big box and all four sides are printed and the writing and images are still bright...

The little doll below is going in my display chain tomorrow so I'll tell her story then.



The little game below is a french game.It has all the original pieces.I saw a image years ago in a prim magazine and never forgot it.I found this on Etsy and had it shipped the whole way from france.



The doll below is new but I included her because the artist used a old advertising image for her face.


Rare little sambo bisque salt and pepper shakers.


What collection is complete without a cookie jar? Also are F & F plastic syrup picture and larger salt and pepper shakers.The F & F were old advertising premiums were you got certain ones for buying(way before I was born).There is also a cookie jar and spice set in this set as well which I'm still on the hunt for....




This is the small set above and large set below.These two sets my girlfriend got from her grandma when she passed away they were in the attic and she didn't want them at all so we agreed if my hubby made her a prim shaker house birdhouse she would trade.Thanks hubby for helping me with the swap. I feel I really made out on this one.These are the same ones my grandma got from her mom when she passed away.



Original late 1800's illustrated Uncle Toms Cabin book...


I've had this forever... Flour ad in a old window frame...



Old cast iron dime bank and bisque baby..



So now a ton more things came to mind that I should have got a pic of.I'll be doing other collections and home tours throughout my blog.For all the new followers I haven't been blogging long so take some time to browse through and catch up if you get time.Harvest Blessings!~Amy

3 comments:

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

I love them, each and every one.
Black Americana is one of my favorites, as well.
I have the same S & P's. I also have a Pillsbury flour advert with 2 black children using the flour sack as a sail on a small boat. It is a treasure to me.
★Linda★

dee begg said...

The apple dumplings look yummy! I can almost smell them. Love your black Americana collection. The signs are too cool!

D

prims by olde lady morgan said...

A wonderful collection! thanks for sharing! OLM