.

.
Simple Ramblings From A Prim Cottage


Monday, April 30, 2012

Surprised and Weekend Finds

Hope everyone had a great weekend! Saturday when I arrived home there was a package on the porch.I wasn't expecting anything so I was excited to see who it was from..Well my sweet friend Sheila surprised me with one of her lovely arrangements!!!!
Sheila is such a sweet and talented girl.She also sent the little sheep tuck and a note.I was on top of the world all day knowing someone thought of me.Her thoughtfulness just means so much.She also takes the time to email me and check to see how I am doing.Thank You so much Sheila!! Here is were I put my pretty daisies....
They look pretty in the kitchen..They smell yummy of cloves and cinnamony every time I walk in I can smell them then of course smile because I'm still so tickled with the surprise..smile...This week I found lots of treasures but most went to market and sold.Here are the two I kept...I've been looking for one of these for awhile but never come across them for a reasonable price.Not sure the proper name but I call it a wool spike or flax comb...
It has a wonderful primitive look and fits nicely with the old spinning wheel...My next find is a make do shoe shine box...On top is a iron foot with a star motif....
What's neat about this is it's a printed box.It was a old soap box that they would have used in the mercantile to display and dispense soap.It would have been turned like this..
and the bars of soap would have stacked and be pulled from the bottom..It is finger jointed.It reads Enoch Morgans Sons Manufactures of Soap Chemicals & Sapolio New York....
I didn't get pics but I also found a old biscuit box with the label from Gettysburg PA (It sold before I even got it out of the jeep at market), A antique turpentine bottle with wonderful graphics, a salt glazed blue and white large milk bowl(still debating on keeping) and a not primitive metal bulldog that has Philco advertising I assume the old radios but I can not find anything like him online so he's sitting on the desk till I can find some info out about him. Antique bird sewing scissors (will be going on Etsy as soon as I get time),antique sewing machine with cabinet.I had 2 load fulls by the end of the weekend.We hit some community sales but the best one was off the beaten path.When I got out of the car the man said you've never been to a sale like this and he was right it was a barn and pole building filled to the brim.Bought several wood toolboxes and carriers and some other goodies.I have a lady that comes up to market she owns a shop in Lancaster and she buys most of my stuff..I am thankful for my regulars because the people that are coming to market are changing and if it wasn't for my shop owners and regulars I wouldn't be able to continue and survive right now.I'll never understand how a person can buy a $5 french fry and $3 drink but when you tell them $5 for a vintage or antique piece act like your nuts.I would much rather not eat the yucky over priced food and have something to take home.LoL..Well girls I gotta get busy.Happy monday! Warm Blessings!~Amy

23 comments:

Unknown said...

What a thoughtful friend to send you such a pretty arrangement and tuck! :)

Dirty Martini Queen said...

What a great friend to send you such a sweet arrangement. And I spied your collection of pie birds which is a fave of mine as well.

Primitive Stars said...

Hello Amy, what a wonderful and sweet surprize, how nice. Love the old shoe shine box, good find, would love to come shop but a little out of the way,tee hee!!Blessings Francine.

My Primitive Creations by Tonya said...

Happy Monday to you...Sounds like you had a busy week with lots of good finds. glad you did well at the market..
My grandma Grace called hers a Wool Rake but I don't know if that is the actual name of it or not...

Have a great week!

Blessings
Tonya

Sheila said...

Happy Monday Amy~
Your week full of wonderful treasure finds sounded fun!
Laughing at the comment about the food though, because it's very true!
hugz and blessing,s
Sheila

TheCrankyCrow said...

Squeal on the flax comb (they are also called wool hatchels or hetchels.....Yeah, I'm addicted to THOSE as well - really hard to find in these parts it seems and I only have a few.....) Sounds like you fared very well - I don't know how you part with some of the goodies you find (I know, I know, it's called eating and have a roof over your head....but Yikes!! That Gettysburg box; the antique scissors; the totes - so much sounds like keepers!)

Love your surprise from Shelia - she is such a sweetheart - and certainly has been spreading a lot of cheer of late....Looks great on your wonderful scale.....

Happy New Week! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

Sandi @ The Primitive Skate said...

What a wonderful suprise from Sheila!
Sounds like you found some awesome goodies. Take care my friend and have a wonderful week!

Farmhouse prims said...

Hi Amy, Isn't Sheila such a sweetie, and her arrangements are beautiful! Love the one she made you. Sounds like you found some awesome finds Sat. too. Hugs, Lecia

Raymond Homestead said...

What a nice surprise from your friend!

dee begg said...

Amy,

Well there's no accounting for taste! I would rather skip the yucky fries and soda and buy a delicious antique any day.....but then again, I'm partial like that. Sorry the customer base is changing....it's kinda scary. I so want to take a ride up to the market...maybe soon I can get there. Have you spotted any large wagon wheels for me? JLMK if you do. Then I will have an excuse that the hubby can't argue with!

D

Cherry's Prairie Primitives said...

Love the cute Daisies from Sheila!! Its so nice to get unexpected gifts!! Sounds like you got some really great finds and thank goodness for your shop owners and regulars!!

prims by olde lady morgan said...

Amy,

so many wonderful treasures! Love the old soap box...but it has a great name on it! LOL!!!
Wonderful arrangement from Shelia, she sent me one at Christmas, I love it!!!! OLM

bettyj said...

All I can say, is"Thous shalt not covet". Love those Daisies. They are beautiful and your shoe shine box! WOW! Love the saw tooth dove tailing. Just perfect, as well as the patina. Love it, love it. Have a great week Amy.

Dorothy said...

How cute those daisys are!!

So glad you had a great weekend garage saleing and selling :)

Have a great evening
Dorothy

Prims By The Water said...

Love the hetchel flax comb! Awesome find Amy. I hear you on the cheap folks at the flea markets. Bob sold a few times last year at our local one...once he was if he would take a dollar for a $3 dollar item he had. Your daisies are too cute too. Take care, Janice

Brenda said...

What a sweet thing for Sheila to do for you! It'a an awesome arrangement!! Sounds like you did really well at all the sales, wish I had luck like that!!

Brenda

cynthia lee designs said...

What a great surprise from Sheila!!
You found some great goodies!!
hugs,
Cindy

1890* said...

Cheerful daisies* from sweet Sheila!Love them hung from your scale.
And what a great score! the soap box/shoe shine box is fabulous. I too am looking for a real flax comb. A friend taught me the how to's for making a repro sort of like yours, but i keep splitting the wood base with adding the nails...urgh
Yours is lovely! I am on the hunt ;0)

Food at Market~ oh my goodness "WHY ?", I go to shop not eat. You've got to get in there and get the goodies before they are gone...and you have to have your hands free to hunt...My kids made fun of my fanny pack, but i fixed them now they have to witness their mom pulling money & phone out of her bra.. that idea not only helped my fashion sense, but with my having to reach there for money.. they are less likely to ask for that money for the over priced junk food .. its a win win situation ;0).
Happy Market Days & Hugs to you Amy!

Beehive Needleworks said...

Such delightful, antique treasures!
Wishing you a lovely May Day!
Warmly,
Judy

frontporchprims said...

Beautiful arragement from Sheila and the pillow tuck is fun too:) What fun to have such a generous friend. That soap box is really neat. Sounds like you found some great deals. -Steph-

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

Such a sweet friend to send you some wonderful creations!!!
Enjoy!
Wonderful treasures you found!
Prim Blessings
Robin

Mary said...

Hi Amy..I love your flax comb!!Great find! Nice arrangement from Sheila ..that was so thoughtful of her.. Mary

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

I am soooo leery of eating from a traveling food wagon! Not for me...
Customers are becoming fewer and less willing to part with their money.
Love your finds and really glad you have loyal buyers.
Hang in there.