.

.
Simple Ramblings From A Prim Cottage


Monday, February 28, 2011

Busy Weekend and yes I'm a little nuts!

Good monday! It's pouring down rain here today so a perfect day to rest a bit after a super busy weekend...This is a long and picture filled post so you might want to grab a warm cup of tea and enjoy the visit.Thursday I saw a sign while out running errands.So friday morning I was out the door at 6:40 am on my way to a Garage Sale.Yes I'm nuts I know especially since there was snow still on the ground and it was pouring rain,cold and still slightly dark..... Here's a pic through the truck window so you can see the rain....
It showed promise and I was excited but it was a let down all tools.I did buy a metal feed scoop but that was it.....So later that day hubby took me to the antique mall I spent .50 there nothing that caught me....Saturday I decided to surprise dad and go to his auction..He had already picked out a neat unusual nutmeg grinder he planned to buy me..He showed it to me and of course I loved it so he gave it to me later that day....You lift the wood knob,the nutmeg goes in the hole and the grinder slides back and forth.It's dated 1886 He also bought me a slice of Yummy cherry cream pie the church ladies made...
I usually stay out back for the box lots.That's were my dad is, then when the box lots are over I go out to the front room and hubby stays out back to bid on the other stuff..My friend Cathy was there so we hung out at the front of the room so we could see what was going on.Let me tell you it was nice to have someone to chat with through all the boring glassware....There was a few things we both wanted but if I just wanted it to resell I left her bid and she did the same for me..Hubby got mad a few times he thought I was being cheap and letting things I wanted go.Which sometimes I am cheap.He couldn't understand why if I wanted a firkin and it was only $35 why I didn't get it.Especially since I know what things are worth.I explained I didn't need it since I already had 5 at home and I was saving my money for things I really wanted.He doesn't realize how things add up.I did get the main thing I wanted a old wood dough riser box which I don't have a pic for yet but will post in a few days..We ended up buying alot of stuff mostly stuff to sell at fleamarket over the summer but a few things for us too.Here are a some of the things.....Antique Farmer Picture.He's a little spooky to me.I like babies but the old frame is nice...Hubby bought him he liked it.
Worn old suitcase...
Tin tea biscuit box with advertising,wood cigar box with nice litho,antique apothecary bottle with hometown drug store label and a giant tin tea or spice ball.. Old wood advertising boxes the bottom one has a eagle and a thrasher wheel...
Hand carved wood double oxen yoke.This is a rare style..Ignore the clutter in the background these were taken on the sun porch..
I bought a few crocks none for me but this fat squatty one was neat..
Antique checkers and Antique Tetley Tea tin with elephant litho...
Antique tin string holder These will go in my etsy when I get time...
Old red one panel cupboard.Hubby is refinishing this for me.I think I paid a little to much for it and not sure why I wanted it.We'll see once it's refinished.If not I'll sell it but I know I'll have to take a slight loss on it if I do that..
Here is some other things we got for fill ins for fleamarket..Old milk boxes,wood drying rack,crocks,galvanized tub,watering can,griswold cast pot,metal boxes,old wood tool carier and some other "stuff"..
Then sunday was spent at Grandma's farmhouse.It was a nice day warmer temps but sooo muddy..I made a pistachio cake with cream cheese frosting I seen on Prairie Flowers Farm blog.I told the girls it was leprechaun cake since it was green..Always a nice day spending sundays with my family...Here's a few pics...Brianna doing projects....
The chickens were out of the chicken house enjoying the warmer temps....
We usually play cards and chit chat around the table after lunch in the winter..This pic didn't come out well with the window but that's my cousin Heidi in the corner she stayed alot with us when she was younger..My grandma by the door.Love her so much and am thankful to still be able to see her.She is still in good health and takes care of the farm chores on her own.Today would have been Pappy's birthday it's been almost 2 years since he passed...

Well thanks for visiting today! Stop by and sign up for my giveaway if you haven't got a chance yet.Warm Blessings!~Amy

11 comments:

~Madalynne~ said...

Wow, lots of great stuff Amy! I love that oxen yoke. It's so unique. But I gotta' tell ya' that Farmer freaks me out a bit!

Paula said...

Congratulations on your fantastic finds! I also went treasure hunting Saturday and need to post about it. I found some wonderful items. I love my Saturdays. We went to a fundraising yard sale early, and then I attended an estate auction. I could have bid on just about everything! :-)

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

Wow, you got a lot of cool stuff. I just can't wait for the flea markets around here to start up again. The antique malls around here are so expensive so i usually don't bother.
Great Finds! ~ Prim Blessings! Robin

Beckyjean said...

Great finds!!

Becky

Green Creek Primitives said...

Really neat stuff. Everyone seems to be out finding all kind of things lately, I want to go and get lost in a good antique mall. Gotta love the thrill of the hunt. Thanks for sharing your finds. Vicky

Cora said...

Wow...I love all the "stuff" you got at the sales and auctions! They are so much fun! My favorite is the nutmeg grinder!!
I mailed your winning GP cookbook today...I had it sent media mail with confirmation, so it will take longer...about a week, to get to you! Let me know when you get it! I hope you enjoy it!
Blessings to you!

Penny said...

Great stuff you got over the weekend! You are lucky -- I went out, too, but only found one brown crock. But I really like it -- it's a little different than the others I have in that it is quite "squatty."
I love the red cupboard! I am anxious to see what you do with it!
God bless your Grandma.....still taking care of the farm! What a treat for you to have her and to spend Sundays with the family.....

Holli~Where The Rooster Crows said...

You got great finds!!

My Primitive Creations by Tonya said...

Sweet...A day out shopping and best of all you found lots of goodies..

Blessings
Tonya

Dreaming of Vintage said...

Hi Amy! Great finds, especially the picture of the old farmer! He would be a great decorative piece for Halloween. Next time you make a pistachio cake I'm coming over! That is literally my favorite cake in the world! I make mine with Cool Whip mixed with pistachio pudding mix.
Kelly

Tam said...

Hi I am a new follower, luv him hes so unique, I live in usa, and posted you to my sidebar thanks